Saturday, July 09, 2005

I am stone

4th day back. Been doing nothing but sleeping, eating and playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. Why go out when you can be saving the universe as a Jedi swinging your big retractable stick around? All without breaking a sweat.

Yeah, between the MTV playing in the background, the mindless violence on my computer and the hot weather, I can feel my brain melting and running out through my nose. Wait... nope actually that's my hayfever.

Man I've been watching more TV in this half a day than I have in my entire 9 months in Cambridge. Actually only the MTV channel, and to my comfort I still like at least half the music on it, so I've not gotten THAT old yet. Was doing fine till Akon's "Lonely" music video came on, then I suddenly thought of Norway and the Norway bunch...man miss you guys! And also transported myself for a moment back to Flam (a town at the start of a Norwegian fjord)....



Out of nowhere strangers pop out to ruin my photo =P Can't believe that I was there just a month ago. Surreally beautiful.






Have also been getting emails from biologists in IMCB (Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Singapore), telling me about their labs and asking if I'd like to join them. Apparently A*STAR (my scholarship board) emailed some of the investigators there, asking if they'd like a student (read: free labour) for a year. Still, it feels good to have all these Dr so-and-sos inviting you to join their team....almost strokes the ego, except that you remember that all the other scholars have probably snapped up the more in-demand labs already. Deciding between developmental biology with Drosophila, a structural biology group (eeek!! most of us have phobias about structural biology, but I thought it might provide good training), and tissue engineering with stem cells. Am leaning towards the tissue engineering lab actually, but will decide for sure by this weekend. Starting my attachment in early August, and I've gotten my work permit already, so won't be working as an 'illegal immigrant' like I was doing last year anymore....

Some of you might know that this was my biggest worry in the summer of 2004:

















Now that leaves 3 weeks of holiday left. Will head to KL (one hour's journey) to meet friends next week; such a difference from in Cambridge, where friends were just a few metres away. Redang for snorkelling from the 24-26th! Yay crystal clear waters and tropical beaches!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home